What is an Order of Protection and how do I apply for one?

An Order of Protection, sometimes referred to as a restraining order, is a court order that protects a family or household member from abuse, harassment or intimidation by another family or household member. Family or household member includes people related by blood or marriage, people who share or formerly shared a common dwelling, people who have a child in common, people who have or have had a dating relationship, and certain people who care for the elderly or disabled. It does not include friends, neighbors, or classmates. To see if you are eligible or for assistance in obtaining an Order of Protection call Freedom House at 800-474-6031 or at the Kewanee office at 309-852-4008. If no one is available to assist you call the State's Attorney's Office at 309-937-3582.

Show All Answers

1. What do I do if I have been the victim of a crime?
2. What happens after I report a crime to the police?
3. What happens after the police make an arrest or refer the case to the State’s Attorney’s Office?
4. Can the State’s Attorney’s Office represent me in a civil matter?
5. What is an Order of Protection and how do I apply for one?
6. What is a Civil No Contact Order and how do I apply for one?