1. Home
  2. Property Info
  3. Pay Online
  4. Departments
    1. Animal Control
    2. Assessments
    3. Circuit Clerk
    4. Coroner
    5. County Administration
    6. County Board
    7. County Clerk
    8. Court Services (Probation)
    9. Economic Development
    10. Elections
    11. Office of Emergency Management (OEM)
    12. Geographic Information System (GIS)
    13. Health Department
    14. Highway
    15. Hillcrest Nursing Home
    16. Information Services
    17. Public Defender
    18. Public Transportation (Abilities Plus)
    19. Recorder
    20. Regional Office of Education
    21. Rural Revolving Loan Fund (RRLF)
    22. Sheriff's Office
    23. State's Attorney
    24. Tourism
    25. Treasurer(Property Taxes)
    26. Veteran's Assistance
    27. Voter's Registration
    28. Zoning and Building
  5. Public Info
  6. Events
  7. FOIA
  8. Contact
  9. About Us
  10. Site Map

Lost/Found Pets

Lost or Found a Pet?

What to do if you have lost a pet:

Contact the Henry County Animal Control Department to see if a pet matching the description of your pet has been picked up, but it is best to visit the Animal Control Facility to visually look for your dog, since descriptions vary between people. Place “Lost Animal” ad in the local newspaper, this can sometimes be done for free. Call your veterinarian and other local veterinarians to report that you are missing your dog.  Contact the Henry County Humane Society-Geneseo at (309) 944-4868 and the Henry County Humane Society-Kewanee at (309) 852-0040, give them a description of your animal. Let your neighbors know that your dog is missing and place fliers around the vicinity that the pet was lost or last seen.

Most importantly, keep cats indoors, make sure they are wearing a collar with an ID tag attached, and keep dogs on a leash when not in your house or yard, make sure that they are properly tagged. Having a microchip implanted into your animal is another way to ensure their safe return to your custody. 

Download the Lost Pet Form

What to do if you have found a lost pet:

If the animal is wearing an ID tag contact the owner listed on the tag, if the animal is wearing a rabies tag, contact the Henry County Animal Control Department and give them the tag number, they can identify the owner and provide you with their information.  If the animal has no identification, call the Henry County Animal Control Department and give them a description of the animal you have found, walk the dog around your neighborhood, one of your neighbors may be able to identify the dog and give you the owners information.  Put up “Found Animal” fliers in the vicinity that the animal was found.

Many animals are implanted with a microchip, which is a permanent form of identification.  All local stray holding facilities, police departments, and most veterinarian clinics are equipped with scanners to read the chips. The owners information can then be traced with the chip number.

If you cannot get in contact with the animals owner, bring it to the Henry County Animal Control facility and they will care for the animal until an owner is located. If an owner is not located the animal may be placed up for adoption.Download the Found Pet Form

How to protect your dog from being stolen:

  • Have up to date pictures of your pet, specifically, pictures of any unique markings or scars.
  • Do not leave you pet unattended for long periods of time, especially in a place that people driving by can see the animal.
  • Microchip your pet.
  • If you are going to be gone for a long period of time, ask someone to frequently check on your animal.

Animal Control

Rich Nelson, Warden
Cheryl Littrel, Deputy Warden

119 South East Road
P.O. Box 153
Cambridge, IL 61238

Office Hours:
7:30 AM - 4:00 PM
Monday - Friday

(309) 937-2266
(309) 937-2628

If you need immediate assistance and there is no answer contact the Henry County Sheriff's Office