Civil Union License

Where to Apply

You can apply at the office of Barbara M. Link, Henry County Clerk/Recorder, located at:
307 W Center Street
Cambridge, IL 61238

Hours are 8 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday, and open through the noon hour.

When to Apply

Both partners must come in person to apply for a civil union license. Illinois law requires that the civil union license must be applied for and issued at least one day prior to the civil union ceremony. The license is good for 60 days from the day of purchase. If the license is not used within that 60-day period, the license becomes void.

Use of Civil Union License

The civil union license must be obtained in Henry County and also certified in Henry County by a person referred to as the officiant.  Non-residents cannot obtain a civil union license if the said civil union would be void in their state. 


Illinois law requires that you must be 18 years old to be united without parental consent. Please bring a photo ID when applying for a license. If you are 16 or 17 years of age, both parents must appear in person to sign a parental consent form at the time the license is being applied for.


As of March 1, 2016, the fee for a civil union license in Henry County is $50 payable at the time of application.

Blood Tests

No blood tests are required to obtain a civil union license in Illinois.

United by a Judge

If you wish to be united by a judge, you must contact the Henry County Circuit Clerk's Office at 309-937-3572.